Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Poison Ivy Ramblings

So we have made the move safely. We are enjoying time with our family as we prepare for Africa. I did get a poison ivy rash. The rash is not the normal rash- been there done that. It is the worst rash I have had in my life. My arm looks like it could be in some sci-fi movie where aliens burst out of eggs laid in a lady's arm. It is raised and has huge blisters and is utterly disgusting. We have been going back and forth on whether or not to go to the doctor. We really didn't want to spend the money. So I started on one of my tirades about it hurting and of course it happened when we don't have insurance. But God stopped me in my tracks. I was reminded that I at least have that option. Where we are moving they have things must worse than my "zombie bite rash" as Ry calls it and they can't go to the doctor. It was a reminder of how blessed I am. I know we are going to encounter some crazy stuff over there. Culture shock is coming. The statistics are so sobering. I just cannot put my head around their reality. My heart breaks for the Batswana and I have not even met them yet. This is going to be tough. I write this to ask you to pray for us and for the Batswana. Ry and I have really felt that God is calling us to bring light there. Africa used to be called the Dark Continent because no one outside of Africa knew anything about it. Centuries later it is the dark continent for other reasons. Death, disease, poverty. We want to bring the light of Jesus to them. We can't do this alone. We have already felt some spiritual warfare and know more is coming. So please, please, please pray for us.

2 comments:

  1. Itching is the worst. :(

    My mom has started using essential oils to treat minor issues like this. She has really noticed a difference. It might be worth it for you to see if there are some that can help. I know that Lavender can be used to treat everything from burns to colds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard that those work. I may have to look into that before we move. Thanks Tanya

    ReplyDelete